Saturday, August 13, 2011

An unexpected afternoon


When Kindergarten class ends at 3:30pm, I always have a decision to make: Which of the 5 houses will I go visit? For me, this is always a hard decision. I mean you have 5 houses full of great kids, you really can't go wrong with which house you choose. But for me, this is always a difficult choice to decide.

So last Thursday afternoon, I decided to go into Zachery House for a LITTLE while. Just pop in, hold Ethan for a little while, say hi to Bill and then go to House of Peace when school gets out. As I walked into the house, I decided to go into Philip's room to just say hi. Philip is 12 years old and has a medical condition dealing with his spine. He stays in bed most of the days because he also has some type of sore which does not allow him to attend school. (I am not fully educated on what is going on with him but this is what I remember about him :)

Philip is a funny animated boy. For the first couple weeks I was here, I always kept hearing about a boy named Philip but I had no idea who he was. Since I have been here, i have seen him a couple of times. Whenever he sees me though, he always calls me "Bad teacher." (he is just teasing me) :) He knows I teach here because Jerak (primary student), who is also in his house. told him.

Back to the story, I just popped by to say hi to him. He was looking through some type of ocean magazine so I decided to look at the pictures with him. He kept showing me picture after picture. (Oh I forgot to mention to you all, He knows English so it was great talking with him because it helped him use more of his English!! :))

We kept looking at the sea creature pictures but then he noticed my camera. Now this is when the fun of the afternoon actually happened. We took so many videos!! He would take videos of me talking and I would take videos of him talking! We would interview each other asking how we are, how old we are, who are our friends etc. It was such a blast because then we would watch the videos and laugh at how ridiculous we looked.

Jerak came into the room for the last half hour and so we made even more funny videos. Technically it was him and Philip and I was just a person in the background. :) Philip would hold the camera and Jerak would just made these weird faces and did these ridiculously silly things.

As I left the house, I quickly glanced at the clock. It was almost 5pm! (5pm is when we have to be out of the houses) I had spent over an hour hanging out with Philip and Jerak. I totally did not expect doing that!! I guess it is true, time flies when you are having fun.

I think my favorite part about the afternoon was that it was totally unexpected!! I thought I was just going to say a quick hello to Philip and then go into another house. But, G had different plans!

Thanks G for letting me have an awesome afternoon with Philip and Jerak! Thank you also that Philip is matched with an awesome family! Please help Jerak gain a family. But first of all, help both of these boys realize you are the best Father they can have. :)

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing you are to all the children!!! God is good and leads us exactly where we are supposed to be!!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete