Friday, June 24, 2011

Jumping with Ling Ling

Just recently (I believe), SFCV has now received a trampoline in their playground area which makes it a magnet for ALL kids to jump on. The kids pile in there with giggles and laughs as they jump and jump and jump and jump.
But as the kids have to go back into their homes, there is one girl who then gets on and jumps for hours. Her name is Ling Ling (English name Shelby) and she is about 18 years old. She is not cognitively together but is still such a sweet heart :).  Ling ling is also in my Primary English class and has a couple English words she ALWAYS says:
"Be Careful" (She says this ALL the time)
"Good morning" (Even in the evening too)
"Come on"
"See you tomorrow at dinner" (We have never had dinner with her so we are very confused with this phrase :)
After I was done with the kids jumping on me in one of the houses, I saw Ling Ling jumping on the trampoline by herself. I decided (well pretty much G did because that's how awesome he is) to go jump with her. So it was just Ling ling and I jumping on the trampoline, laughing and taking pictures of it.
I don't know how else to describe it. I think one of my favorite things so far is spending individual time with each kid. When it's all of them together, they can get so wild because they are striving for your attention. But when it is just you and them, it is amazing to see their individual personalities comes out and to see the person G made them to be :).
Needless to say, I think one of my goals now is to spend time with each kid alone. 81 kids in less than 8 weeks? Shouldn't be a problem right? :)

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful idea, Mel! Individual time will be so special for them and for you <3...enjoy! Oh and see you tomorrow at dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete